IDPP Delegation Attends UN CRPD COSP-7
An IDPP delegation is attending the 7th Conference of States Parties to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities from 9-12 June 2014 at United Nations Headquarters in New York City. The IDPP delegation, led by Executive Director Dr. Derrick Cogburn, includes Assistant Director of Communication Ms. Maya Aguilar; Program Coordinator Ms. Kerry Honeycutt-Royce; and Director of Technology Mr. Clyde White, Jr.
The conference invites delegates from signatories to the UN CRPD and representatives from civil society organizations around the world to discuss implementation of the CRPD and related international development issues. The thematic discussions for this session are: incorporating CRPD provisions into the post-2015 development agenda; youth with disabilities; and national implementation and monitoring.
The delegation traveled to New York on 9 June to attend the Civil Society Forum and the pre-conference event First Global Forum on Disability: Voice of Our Own. IDPP Advisory Board Member Amb. Luis Gallegos spoke at the forum’s opening session, which was followed by two sessions on disability rights within the post-2015 development agenda and national CRPD implementation and monitoring. The forum focused on strategic and practical ways to address the key challenges faced in CRPD implementation, as well as strategies to eliminate poverty associated with disability, create employment opportunities, and promote accessibility. A particular focus area was international cooperation in creating sustainable development frameworks.
The delegation spent the next days attending COSP sessions, meeting with key affiliates, and participating in side events including:
- Forum Roundtable Discussion on Disability–Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience organized by The Nippon Foundation, UN Economic Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
- Inclusive Cities: Implementing the CRPD on the Local Level hosted by IDPP Advisory Board Member Dr. Victor Pineda’s organization, World ENABLED, and co-sponsored by the IDPP
- Crises, Conflict, and Disability: Ensuring Equality organized by World ENABLED
- Mobile accessibility: The Sky is the Limit! 2014 Trends and Innovations that are Transforming Accessibility Forever organized by G3ICT
- Second Forum on Disability and Development: Roundtable Discussion on Financial Inclusion for Inclusive and Sustainable Development: A Disability Perspective organized by UNDESA
IDPP Executive Director Dr. Derrick Cogburn served as a panel speaker at the side event Inclusive Cities: Implementing the CRPD on the Local Level. He discussed the IDPP's work of building a cadre of disability policy leaders in the ASEAN region, as well as how collaboratories and geographically-distributed knowledge work can be applied toward building inclusive cities and implementing disability policies at the local level.